Tuesday, December 30, 2008

2008

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Gave birth, learned how to be a parent
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I am not sure if I kept my resolutions, I'll have to go back and look. My resolutions are kind of funny because they are trivial enough to not make me sad when I don't achieve them. I'd like to wear lipstick on a regular basis and I'd like to remember to wear some of the awesome jewelry that I own. Of course, "lose weight and get fit" always makes this stupid list.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Terri and Laura had baby boys
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My grandma, and I am so, so, SO thankful that I got to see her just days before she passed on. A friend of mine also lost her child to meningitis which was really a profound, horrible loss.
5. What countries did you visit?
NONE! Grrr. I am pushing hard for England in 2009 though.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Some confidence in myself to achieve what I want.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
March 6th- Gray's birthday, the day my mom called me crying to tell me Grandma was gone
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Have I mentioned that I had a BABY?
9. What was your biggest failure?
Have I mentioned that I want to LOSE WEIGHT? I am like a broken record over here.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
If you can call pregnancy an illness, then yes. It certainly was not easy on my body.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I am kind of in love with my Dyson and my electric toothbrush. I think everyone in the world should have both.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Mine for birthing that darn baby. It wasn't easy but I kind of liked it, in a weird way.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? S
ome of the people I work with have made me sad that that they are in the profession that they have chosen. Cryptic enough? I bet even I won't be able to figure out who I mean in a year from now.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Hello, Visa. Also: see landscaping back yard and floor for the basement.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Every little milestone that Gray reaches. Even the techno dancing milestone. That's a good one.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
It's less a song and more a rhyme: Hush, Hush, Little fish, we are here to make a wish...
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:a) happier or sadder?b) thinner or fatter?c) richer or poorer?
Immeasurabley happier, sorry to say fatter (or the same? but I was pregnant a year ago) and probably a teensy bit richer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Exercise. When will I learn? Oh, maybe I'm learning now: I have worked out for the past three weeks religiously.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Wishing I could lose weight.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Very, very quietly, with my husband and son.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Yes, with my favorite baby boy!
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Top Chef
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nope
24. What was the best book you read?
If You Lived Here
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Drive By Truckers, which was really P's discovery
26. What did you want and get?
The backyard landscaped (mostly), an office, new carpeting, a healthy baby
27. What did you want and not get?
Oh, that kitchen is bound to haunt me to the end of my days.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Well, it wasn't Boy in the Striped Pajamas. I suppose Stardust?
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Huh. I had to look at my blog to figure this out. Apparently we went to Chili's (UGH) which is SO unlike us but we were desperate, it was late and we had an infant with us, I had lunch with a friend and P bought me a purse. And I was 36.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I wish that we could have re-done our kitchen. It is miserable to cook in and just BE in, and I feel like the appliances are all about to break at any moment. Losing weight would have been pretty fantastic. I knew that nursing/drop-baby-weight-without-trying thing wouldn't work for me!
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Four rotating outfits that I am sick, sick, sick of looking at.
32. What kept you sane?
My husband. He also makes me crazy. Interestingly, I think pregnancy solved my crazy issues because I don't think I'm as moody as I was before having the baby.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I do love Phil from the Amazing Race.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
All political leanings aside, I am happy to see an African American in the White House. And a Chicagoan!!
35. Who did you miss?
My grandma. I miss her more than I could have imagined. I also miss my Uncle Barry lately because when Gray smiles it reminds me of him.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Well, I didn't just meet her but I think Katie (yes, you!) is my favorite new friend.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
I didn't know I had the ability to make my most favorite person in the world. If I had known this, I would have done it sooner, and I cannot wait to make another!
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"You do it for the joy it brings Because you're a joyful girl Because the world owes me nothing And we owe each other the world."

1 comment:

Be Like the Squirrel, Girl said...

Me? Hooray! I can relate to so much of this: the falling in love, the annoying wardrobe and the kitchen from hell...we have parallel lives to an extent. I am sorry about the loss of your Grandma. And so excited by everything Gray does. Happy New Year!