Saturday, January 31, 2009

Ay yay yay

I can't believe that it's been several weeks since I last posted! Oops.

We had a couple of really busy weeks around here. Work has been non-stop crazy for the past two weeks, and I paid out about $900 to the nannies as a result. That amount pretty much makes me sick. So, the big drama around here lately is that one of the nannies told me that she was going to have to look for a full-time job. Panic ensued and I ended up visiting four in-home daycares, posting ads for nanny shares and three commercial daycares. We have finally come to a decision that we feel comfortable with, and as a result we will be paying a LOT less per week. He will be in a local G00dard Sch00l which is close to Phil's work and truly seemed to be the best option for us. I have loved the nanny situation for his first year but the plain truth is we cannot afford it, and while our nannies may like him they are not exactly "professional" nannies. I feel terrible about letting one of them go, since she just moved out of her parents house and I am worried about her ability to find a decent job. But, I have been pretty candid with her about our situation so it shouldn't be a huge shock when we tell her.

I had to laugh (and also cry-I definitely got a little teary) when I went on my tours of these daycares. There were huge differences between them. Oddly, the thing that turned me off about the other two that I toured was that the tour-giver showed me the room where the children were napping and continued talking in a normal, loud voice. It just bothered me so much that they had no regard for all of the little kids that were trying to nap. The director of G00dard was a little high strung for my taste, and their "curriculum" is tailored specifically for yuppie kids (yoga? WTF?). When we sat down to talk the first thing she asked me was "Tell me all about Grayson!" which kind of floored me. I felt like the worst mom because I didn't have all these exciting things to say about him. "He's.... happy?" I felt like saying, "Lady, he's a BABY. He does BABY things." But I am thankful that they have a place for him and that both of us feel like we are doing the right thing. He will start right after his first birthday. So, for the next five weeks we are working on pushing his morning nap back further and further (he'll only get one nap at school) and we are trying to get him down to less bottles. All of a sudden I have this kid who eats real food and drinks from sippy cups. It is so weird!! Where did my baby go?

In other big news, Gray is having surgery next week. He has been diagnosed with a urachal remnant and I have been assured that this surgery is easy and minor. It is next Friday, so I we will be trapped indoors next weekend while he heals up. I am pretty thankful that he has nannies right now, in particular, so I don't have to fret about all the germy germs he would be getting at school! I am trying not to dwell too much on this whole anesthesia thing as it has the potential to freak me right the hell out.

After being a super workout queen for five-ish weeks, I had to take the last two weeks off because I messed up my ankle somehow. As annoyed as I am about not working out, I think it was the right move since yesterday I didn't even think about it once, which tells me it is a LOT better than it was a week ago. So this week it is back to TaeBo for me! I am toying with doing a yoga class tomorrow- have to check the schedule to see if that will work.

We re-financed our mortgage this week so between the new daycare situation and a smaller mortgage we will be saving about $500/month. Hot damn!

No comments: