Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Dear Gray: Month Twenty-five

"This is Pearl Jam," you say, sitting in the tub, listening to the music playing in the background. "What's this place about?" you ask as we pull into the doctor's office parking lot. "Come, Mama," you say as you takes my finger and lead me to sit under the tree in the back yard. "What should we talk about?" "I'll be right back!" you warn me as you point your fat little finger at me. "Ummm, no kaimps" is your answer to almost anything. Tonight you told me you wanted M&Ms and informed me that they were on the "calendar" (counter) and when I said that they were not on the counter you said "No, the CALENDAR with da DOORS!" (Ah, the cabinet!) Everything is "so cuuuute!" This afternoon we were looking at a Martha Stewart magazine and you kept saying, "That's you, Mama!" I finally figured out that you think that Martha Stewart and I look alike. I had to call your Grandma immediately to share that one, I was laughing so much. I am so mad that I will forget all these little idiosyncracies of yours- it is so fun to listen to you. Your da and I are constantly telling each other, "This kid's on fire!" because you are constantly coming up with these zingers that leave us a little confused but always laughing.

You are really, truly learning how to count things and if you are counting to three or less you do pretty well. You are probably about 75% accurate on colors now. The biggest thing that's new this month is that you are starting to pretend. You will "lock" the door with a stick or you will feed me "breakfast." The other day you brought me a stick and said "it's a claw, Mama!" so you are definitely using your imagination. It is so fun to see what you come up with.

We have always known that you like music but we are starting to realize that you are actually sort of musical. I have never met a two year old that could carry a tune quite as well as you do. You sing songs from our iPods and I can actually recognize what you are singing, which I think is pretty amazing.

Your life has changed pretty significantly with your new nanny, who I just love, love, love. I am so happy that we are able to give you what we think is a pretty ideal childhood. Lots of time spent outside at parks and on walks, time at the zoo, museums... I think we are really lucky that things have turned out the way they have. Speaking of outside, can we please come inside once in a while? That would be great. Now that the weather is nice, I hear "Outside, Mama?" about 10000 times a day. I'm very grateful that you like to play outside but do I have to particpate every minute?

The terrible twos are not so very terrible, I guess. You are definitely learning to get a handle on your emotions and we have our challenges, to be sure. The way you handle frustration is either to windmill your arms about wildly while you whine or to lay down and suck your thumb. I'm trying to help you with the words you need to express your frustration but I guess that comes with the two-year-old territory. Tonight you were angry at me because I would not let you have scissors. Sorry, my friend.

love,
Mama

No comments: