Dear Gray,
What a big boy you are! Everything is "Is this a big boy shovel?" "Is this a big boy bike?" etc. You are a big boy, indeed. You are in the process of learning to recognize the alphabet and you do a pretty good job of it. Often if you make a mistake it is a very logical one- J for L or F for E. Nicki bought you a book on numbers 0-10 and she said she should have gotten you the 0-30 book, since you can reliably count items less than 10 already. We have been discussing potty training with you and the other day we were watching TV when you asked me, "Is this movie about potty training?" "No," I said. "I am not going on the potty yet. Almost. Not yet!" you warned me, pointing your pudgy finger in the air. We introduced you to "big boy underwear" the other day and after you got over the initial shock of wearing it, you ran around for a little while until you said, "Mama, I spilled!" (You had peed on the floor.) We are going to get to the potty training thing one of these days! After all, big boys go on the potty!
The biggest news around these parts is that you LIKE Eli! You have no idea how happy this makes me. Frankly, I'm amazed because Eli is pretty challenging for you to be around right now. He is a grabby little fella and he wants whatever you are holding. If he can't have it he will pinch you, or grab your hair. But you gave E your first unsolicited hug the other day, and you have discovered you can make him laugh. Today you told me to go outside and when I told you that I couldn't go outside, I had to watch Eli, you said "You go outside. I watch Eli." You guys take baths together and even though the temptation is great, you only pour water over his back and hands.
The other thing that you like is... well, you have a sudden fascination with body parts, shall we say. Thus begins a life-long love affair with that and farting. Oh, to be surrounded by boys.
You like: "blowing" the lawn, hummus, Charlie, fire trucks, cars, choo choos, fancy cheeses, for me to sing you songs, Team Umizoomi, chocolate milk, for us to "hold you."
You don't like: going anywhere (you always want to stay home), anything enough for me to bribe you (and this is very annoying, I have to say- I thought children could be bought with candy or toys), Archie (why do you torture him so much?), eating dinner, snakes (sorry, that's my doing), having dirty hands (also my fault), me taking pictures of you ("Turn it over! Put the camera away!").
You are SO polite. It is almost comical. "Thank you, Mama!" you will say without prompting. "That's a great idea!" We have struggled a bit with saying good-bye to people lately, particularly Nicki. I think a lot of this has to do with the fact you just don't want her to leave. I have worked on telling you how happy it makes me when you say good-bye and thank you to her when she leaves and it has worked like a charm. "Bye, Nicki!" you'll say. "Mama, did I make you so happy? I said bye to Nicki! Are you so proud of me?"
Something that has been interesting lately is to watch you play among other children. You are a very nice boy and I have never seen you do something mean to another child. I have, however, seen other kids be mean to you. It makes me ill, and I want to go up and punch the kid, even though you are mostly oblivious and don't even understand what is going on. It's so hard to remember that mean kids are a part of childhood. It's hard for me to know how to handle those types of situations... you are a sweet boy and I hate to see anyone hurt you. I know this is probably just going to get harder as you get older, but just know this: I will always, always stand up for you.
I love you, Grayboy.
Mama
No comments:
Post a Comment