My dear Grayboy,
Wow, how did we get here so quickly? I cannot believe that you are a big three year old! I have been warned by many that "you think two is hard, three is worse!" and in the last week I have wondered if you were trying to prove all of those people right. When we have a good day it is an amazingly wonderful day... and when we have a bad day, well, those days are awful. You seem so grown up to us- you talk and reason with us and yet, when I see you with other children you still seem like such a baby. We have so much to look forward to with you, Gray.
We spent your birthday weekend at your grandparents. They had bought you a Jeep that you could drive yourself and were beside themselves with excitement about giving it to you. Of course, in your three-ness, you are extremely contrary and we knew that if they made a big deal out of it that you would not go near your fabulous present. Well, I don't think they could contain themselves, since when we drove up they were outside to greet us, standing on either side of your present. As predicted, you wanted nothing to do with it for a good 24 hours. By the end of the second day you did actually get in it and learn how to drive and steer it, so that was fun. It was so funny though, we just knew that you would act that way about it! You requested a "green limousine cake" and a "limousine toy" for your presents, and that is what you got. You and I slept in the same bed the night before your birthday so I got the best present of all- watching you wake up and snuggling with you in the morning. I took your picture and gave you your limousine and you loved it. You told me later that that was the best part about your birthday. Cutie pie!
I think the biggest change for you lately has been that you are starting to play pretend so much more. Your scooter has a "parking spot" and you make up words ("Mama, we are driving down Shlippery Shlacky road!") Lately you love to get on our bed and rearrange all the pillows into a castle or race car. Other times you will tell me you are going camping on my bed. I love to watch you learn to pretend! We are still going to swimming class and every week is a different experience. One week you were having such an awful morning that I should have never even taken you to class, since you had a total meltdown when we got there and had to leave. The next week you were the star of the class, so one can never tell what kind of day it's going to be. You are also doing an art class, which is good- it allows you to get totally messy which I have such a hard time letting you do. My tidy ways interfere with you being a kid sometimes and I'm sorry! But that's why I signed you up for this class- to get good and dirty. You will be starting preschool two days a week in the summer and I'm pretty excited for that as well. I think it's going to be so good for you.
Lately, we have been working on some basic "life skills," I guess you could say. You are able to get undressed pretty easily, although some evenings you just cannot make yourself do it ("I can't do it! I need help!"). I have also started asking you to put your clothes in the dirty laundry and sometimes this is no problem and other times it's an hour-long, time-out filled battle. Boy, you can be so stubborn!!! You are learning how to use a "big boy" cup at mealtimes as well. We are working on a "no thumb sucking" policy when we are out in public, and you have surprised me with your willingness to play along with this. Before we go into a store I always remind you "Remember, we are not going to suck our thumb in the store" and you always comply. If you forget, I just put my hand on your hand and you stop. The potty remains your arch nemesis. You flat out refuse to go near it. We came up with a plan that we are not going to say ONE WORD about it to you for this whole month, and we will also not complain about changing your pants (believe me, this is hard to do- you are a big kid and hauling you up on the changing table is not easy). After we come back from Arizona in April, though, GAME ON. You have been warned, my friend! We are going to restrict TV and iPad use so we can use them as bribery. (By the way, you love to play "Mad Birds" and "Nom nom" on that darn iPad.) I hope that by summertime you will be potty trained. (Sigh)
Little boy, I am constantly learning how to be the best mom for YOU. I have finally figured out that for you, transitions are a little tough so I just need to get you prepared. Sometimes I am not great at this- I'll be running late or forget- but I am working on it! I think that figuring that out has made a big difference for both of us.
This morning you came downstairs as I was finishing up my workout. You said "Mama, I am just going to come downstairs and stretch with you, okay? How are you today, Mama?" You are such a sweetheart.
Love,
Mama
PS- I forgot to mention-again- your amazing manners. Yesterday you were playing outside on your scooter and you said "Excuse me!" I said "Excuse you for what?" and you said, "I said excuse me because I farted!"
No comments:
Post a Comment