Thursday, April 7, 2011

Dear Eli: Month Sixteen

Dear E, The other day I was in Gray's room and you were rooting around in my room. I kept calling you, trying to get you to come into Gray's room and play with us. Finally I gave up and went to find you. You were messing around with something in the bathroom and, exasperated, I said "ELI!" Gray had followed me into the bathroom and said "Dammit, Eli!" That about sums up our life right now. Gray is amazingly smart and you are mischievous and crazy. (By the way, Gray got a talking to for his language but kept trying that word out for the rest of the morning, no doubt because my reaction was so much fun to watch. I would also like to say that I have probably sworn in front of you guys a small handful of times but clearly Gray is ALWAYS LISTENING.) Today you were asking me for milk and I said, "Eli, say Milk please, Mama!" and what do you know? You said "Muk pees Ma!" I about fell over. I could not believe that this sixteen month old child was able to put three words together. You imitate us so well- we can ask you to say just about anything and you will approximate it amazingly well. This week you have started to put two words together spontaneously and I just think you are brilliant for doing so at this early age! When we went to your 15 month check-up recently I honestly told the doctor that I couldn't possibly count all the words you know since it's well over 100. Recent words that have surprised me include Eli, outside, pirate, planet and jungle. How do you know all of these things, little boy? You have been a clingy little monkey lately and you just want your mama. I think Gray went through a similar stage but it seems a little more intense this time around. If you know I'm around but you can't see me, you will either fully melt down or walk around sobbing "MAMA, MAMA!" I have heard your dad say on more than one occasion lately "I AM your dad, ELI!" when I have handed you to him and you have freaked out. We went swimming this weekend and you were clinging to me so ferociously that even when I let go of you and stood up out of the water, you didn't move an inch. It's pretty cute but it's also a little inconvenient that I can't even go to the bathroom without causing major hysterics. After observing two totally different little babies turn into boys I am pretty convinced that personalities are pretty defined at a very early age. You are the same soul that you were at the age of six months- just MORE so. You are ready to take on the world, ready for a challenge, ready to play, ready to read... you are just READY. The only thing you are not ready for is a snuggle. Eli, will you ever want to snuggle in bed with me? While we were visiting your grandparents in Tucson we were all on the bed reading a book: Gray was on the pillow next to me, paying full attention with his thumb in his mouth, and you were stumbling around the bed, falling on top of me and laughing. At one point you stood up and let out this huge burp. Dude, you act like some crazy frat boy and you are only a year old! Your dad and I had a good laugh over that- it was such a perfect illustration about how you and your brother act. For most of the past month you were fighting an epic virus- you had a snotty nose and a cough that lasted for six weeks. After a trip to the doctor, you came down with croup. Then you were put on antibiotics which you had some sort of reaction to and woke up covered with spots and splotches that lasted for a couple of days (Gray asked, "Who drew spots all over Eli?"). On top of all of this you fell and split your lip, so you now have a scar in the exact same spot that Gray does. You finally seem better, even though you are sporting a new scar on your lovely little face. This is your second scar, and probably the first of many. Eli, you keep us on our toes, that's for sure. I am going to do my darndest to make sure you are always safe but I have a feeling you are not going to make it easy for me! I love you, pal. Mama

1 comment:

Be Like the Squirrel, Girl said...

Oh, your boys are adorable. Did I tell you the story about Penny's recent swear? I'll have to fill you in.