Dear Grayboy,
Tonight we let you stay up WAY past your bedtime (which has been effectively moved to 8ish, but you still take epic three hour naps) and watched you get sillier and sillier... you were trying to maintain a delicate balance of cute and funny but not obnoxious and it's interesting to see that you totally know where that line is and how not to cross it. (Your dada was at work all day today (and at a football game/bachelor party thing all day yesterday) so he was willing to let you stay up and act goofy so he could see you for a little longer.) Anyhow, it is so funny to watch you learning the ways of boys: acting goofy just for a laugh and then doing the same thing over and over (and over...etc) until we are begging you to PLEASE STOP. You are starting to play with your voice and will talk like a duck for a while, then talk like a zombie- and then there's the "poop" talk that you've started to venture into. I can't say I'm looking forward to that part of my life since it will probably go on for the next, oh, ten years or more?
You started preschool (for real, this time, because we got you in a class that allows diapers, ahem) and I would say that you generally like it. You don't say much about the actual school part, but you will occasionally mention something about one of your friends there. I asked the teacher about you the other day and she said that you are very social, and you really like girls. There is a little girl in particular that you have made it your mission to be friends with but apparently she is not having it- I don't know why, but she has not returned the favor for some reason and this makes you nuts. What I have been pleasantly surprised by is your willingness to go to school. On the rare day I drop you off I always prepare myself for drama but you give me a kiss and say "Bye, Mama" and that's the end of it.
You and Eli are like having twins- the two of you want to play with the same things at all times. We know now to just buy two of whatever so we can avoid a fight. Sometimes it doesn't matter; you guys will fight over the silliest little things. There have definitely been episodes of hitting (you) and kicking (Eli) and lots and lots of crying (you, Eli and me).
Random: you are really good at putting your shoes on the right feet ("Is this the right foot, Mama?") and if I say, "No, that's the left shoe" you will get it right 90% of the time. You are learning directions and we will play the game of "right or left" in the car on the way home, just to see if you know which way to get us home. You are learning the concept of time but mess it up (adorably) more often than you get it right: "Mama, we came here thirty years ago!" You refuse absolutely to dress yourself and you will not go on that potty no matter what. You are a tidy little soul and have nary a crumb on you at the end of a meal. You don't like to eat off of Eli's plate or share his drink because he's "too messy." (And you're right, he is GROSS.) Your dad calls you his "sister wife" because you are always bossing and nagging him about things, which I think is hilarious. You love to go to the park, go hiking, read and watch movies. In particular, you are quite a fan of Roxborough Park, the "red park" and we have probably watched Cars a million times. You will request the "Real Gone" song from Cars over and over- if you had your druthers you would listen to it a hundred times. You are a big fan of your Gram and this weekend we asked if you'd like to go by yourself to have a visit with her. You said "No, both of us have to go" and when I asked you to clarify who you meant you said "Eli has to go too because if he doesn't I won't have my brother." Too, too cute, Gray.
What I want to remember tonight is this: after you were put to bed (sobbing because we refused to give you one more cookie) I went in to snuggle you. You were laying there with your right thumb in your mouth and your left pointer and middle fingers crossed like you always do, making funny faces (blinking really fast, then squeezing your eyes shut)... and I thought you looked like such a BIG boy. You are getting hard for me to pick up, you say such adult, funny things and you are so thoughtful and insightful. Four is right around the corner, even though you always tell me you still wish you were two. When I left you tonight you said "Mama, do you want to come back and snuggle?" like you always do. And like I always do, I said "Yes, of course, baby."
I love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment