Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Starbucks, again

So, once again, another weird Starbucks encounter. (When you travel for work you waste a lot of time camping out in Starbucks. Ironically, I don't drink coffee so I end up ordering a "tall skim steamer with sugar-free hazelnut" and feel like a total asshole doing so.) So when I came in there was a developmentally disabled kid sitting at a table playing dominoes and loudly addressing anyone in his vicinity. When I sat down at a table near his, he yelled "WHO ARE YOU? DO YOU WANT TO PLAY DOMINOES WITH ME?" To which I replied, no thanks, I have to work. His mother turned around (she was sitting in an easy chair nearby) and hissed snottily "Isaac, don't bother her! If you don't behave we aren't going to come back!" After several more similar exchanges "I KNOCKED THE DOMINOES DOWN, ISN'T THAT FUNNY?" and another hissed reprimand Isaac settled down and played quietly. Then a newcomer caught his attention and somehow they started to discuss where they went to church. This was kind of strange to me, since discussing church and religion in the presence of strangers makes me extremely uncomfortable. So when this kid walked up to me and yelled in my ear "ARE YOU A CHRISTIAN?" I just tried to ignore him, hoping his hissy mother would step in. But no, she was just looking over her shoulder at me, smirking. "ARE YOU A CHRISTIAN? ARE YOU A CHRISTIAN? ARE YOU A CHRISTIAN?" continued so finally I said, "I'm sorry, I'm working." After several more questions yelled in my ear I finally said NO. Now, I really don't know what I am, religiously, but he (and his smirky mom) were definitely starting to piss me off. Smirky Mom said "Tell her you love Jesus and that he is in your heart." "I LOVE JESUS HE IS IN MY HEART!" he yelled.

Good grief.

Then the kid turned to the guy next to me and gave him the same third degree. He was much more gracious about discussing Jesus than I was. The kid and his smirky, hissy mom left soon after that and I heard the guy next to me say, "Are you okay? Don't get that question too often, eh?"

PS: The guy I saw in the other Starbucks? AJ Hawk from the Packers.

No comments: