Saturday, February 24, 2007

Ho Hum

I'm having one of those very boring but oh-so-wonderful weekends. I was supposed to be going out for a girls' night this evening with some women I used to work with but once one of them mentioned bringing her husband the evening lost it's luster. I am not sure why people I know insist on bringing their husbands to GIRLS' night. I had a friend who did it all the time when I lived in Chicago and it made us all nuts. Of course this would be the same friend who brought her husband and baby to my so-called bachelorette party. Sigh.

I made some Thai food for dinner- pad thai from scratch. I'm slowly figuring this Thai thing out although it seems like all my recipes have too much curry paste and/or fish sauce. The other thing I can't quite figure out is my curries seem a little on the watery side. I wonder if it's because I am using light coconut milk?

The house continues to get closer to completion... well, at least the main floor. Am still waiting for that damn divider to get finished but I have been assured that it will be done (as in finished!) by next weekend. I am hosting book club and my in-laws are stopping by so it would be nice to have all the dishes off the dining room table for a change.

For book club we have been reading a book about knitting, which makes me think I want to knit again. Except that I am the slowest, worst knitter. I don't know if I have the wrong needles or I just don't know the trick to knitting more than a row a day. I swear, I get two rows done and I am bored out of my mind because it takes so long and it is so arduous. I wonder if crocheting is any better?

The weather is getting better and I'm starting to dream about what we are going to do in the yard. It is such a massive project... we have a BIG yard and all of it has to be re-worked. The sprinkler system is a mess and needs to be re-configured. The previous owner has sprinkler heads in the stupidest spots and some are sticking out of the ground 2' or more. (Subtle!) Not to mention he tapped into the main line from the street and some valve broke so now we will need a $1500 repair on top of the sprinkler system re-do.

I have resolved to jump back on the WW and exercise bandwagon again tomorrow. There are eight weeks until my birthday (35! How is that possible!?) and it would be nice to fit back into some of my clothes. I have been unhappy with the way I look for much of my life but I am downright embarrassed recently. It's not a good feeling. So I have promised the dogs that we will be going running and I have mapped out a 3 mile route in our new neighborhood. It sucks to know it will be frustrating and I will not be able to run the whole thing but if I remember correctly it was only a couple of weeks before I could do a 3 mile run last year. I'm also going to try, try, try to lift weights 3x/week in hopes I can get some muscle tone back. Birthday resolution number three is that I'm going to start getting up earlier (6:30, I know, I'm such a martyr). My current job schedule is so different every day that I get lazy and tend to get up whenever I want. But when I think of the time I felt best about exercise and my body it was when I got up Monday through Thursday and ran 3 miles. Here's hoping I can get back to that!

No comments: