Monday, July 7, 2008

Dear Gray: Month Four

Dear Gray,

Well, to tell you the truth, last month when I wrote this letter I was feeling rather gleeful. You had slept through the night once and I thought that I would only have a couple more weeks of waking up for a feeding (or two) before you would be sleeping for ten hours at a time. HA! And so I learned my first humble lesson of parenting: the behavior of children is never logical. Needless to say, you are still getting up in the middle of the night for a snack- sometimes one or two (or even four- yes, I said FOUR) times. I am getting a little tired of this, to tell you the truth, and I long for one of those long, sleep-filled nights that I remember from our pre-Gray days.










You continue to get cuter all the time and I just cannot get enough of you. This weekend your Gram was here and she held you 24/7 while we worked on the back yard. She adores you and can't get enough of your sweet face. She has figured out all of your tricks, and knows that she can get you to sleep by walking you down the block and back. We were laughing at you lounging in your carseat with your legs crossed at the ankles- apparently Grandma Helen did that all the time so it appears you are genetically predisposed to sitting like an old lady. You also have this funny habit of rubbing your feet together which has resulted in little scratches all over your feet from your sharp little toenails.

You are playing more with your toys and have some definite favorites; particularly, anything that makes music. You smile when I sing to you and you love your little toy that plays a bunch of songs. We introduced you to the exersaucer this week. You are interested in the toys but couldn't be less interested in moving yourself around with your legs. We were at a family party this weekend with two other babies who loved to stand (assisted) while you collapsed every time I tried to get you to imitate them. Maybe it's because you have a lot to hold up (17 lbs, I'm guessing), I don't know.










You recognize your Da lately, and it's so dear to see you smile when he comes in the room. Apparently you are a mini-Phil, since all I hear is how much you look like him. You have also started giving me these frantic baby hugs, where you nuzzle into my neck while gripping my face or hair as hard as you can. It's all I can do to not eat you up when you give me one of those loves. It's so hard for me to believe that someday you'll be a disdainful teenager who can't be bothered to hug his mom. If I could bottle you up and keep you little, I would. Having said that, I can't wait to see you again tomorrow morning and watch you learn, and grow.

Love,
Mama

No comments: