Monday, August 11, 2008

Dear Grayson: Month Five

Dear Gray,

All of a sudden you are a BIG BOY! You can sit up and you want nothing to do with that bouncy seat. If I put you in there you lean forward, insisting that you are TOO BIG and you don't WANT to lay back like a baby. You figured out that you could sit two days before you turned five months and it seems as though we better get ready because you will probably be crawling before we know it.











We went down to see your Gram and Papa this weekend for their 39th wedding anniversary. Your auntie told us it was their 40th anniversary so we went down there with a fancy present and a cake and then looked like idiots when they told us what the deal was. Oh well. Anyways, your Gram and Papa loved having you at their house. Papa took you for walks and Gram got to hold you as much as she could (for you are rather...um...big). I didn't love the visit as much since you choose not to sleep when we are not home. It sucks and makes me a little, shall we say... grouchy? I am STILL tired from the weekend. There was a moment though at 2 AM that totally cracked me up. We had put you in the car to drive down there at your bedtime, so when we arrived I just put you straight to bed in the crib. You woke up around 2:00 and I made a tactical error of not having a bottle ready for you, so I had to wander around the house searching for light switches and managed to totally wake you up in the process. I wish I could have videotaped your face when you realized that you were not in your room! You had big, concerned eyes while you looked around their darkened house. It was just so cute. Archie came out to see what we were up to and it was funny to see that you recognized him and seemed a little comforted by him.

The other big newsflash in your life is that you started to eat rice cereal this past weekend. You didn't seem to have much of an opinion about it and you made a good show of opening your mouth to accept the spoon. Although if I had to guess, I think you probably ingested about 10% of what I offered you. Your grandma gave me a fancy baby food maker so in about a week I am going to start making food for you. My plan right now is to nurse you for about another month. It is a very hard decision for me to make, since I love nursing you, but the logistics of nursing when you are a working mom are challenging, to say the least. Right now I am nursing (or mostly pumping) about three to four times a day, which is significantly decreased over what I was doing even a couple of weeks ago. It makes me so sad... I love being able to do this one thing for you.

This month we spent a week in Scottsdale for a company meeting. Your Grandma came up to take care of you all week and for this I will always be grateful. She loved being with you and the day after we came home she called us and asked "How is my baby?" Sadly, on the day that your GeeGee and Grandpa were supposed to come visit your GeeGee woke up and said she didn't feel so well... so we decided to head down to Tucson to for a surprise visit. I am so glad we did. Your GeeGee died the next Sunday. It was the last time I got to see her and I'm glad I got to introduce you two.











You continue to love to be outdoors, and when the witching hour (right before bedtime) rolls around that is the best way to keep you calm: walk around the yard and let you touch the trees and grass. You are happy to be in your exersaucer or rolling around on the floor. Your favorite toys continue to be the bug and your little musical Baby Einstein toy. You are really starting to use your voice more- exploring how to holler and shriek and growl. I am going to start signing with you soon in hopes that you'll pick up on a new way to communicate.

We had another little photo shoot recently. You were such a good boy, and we got some great nudie shots. Your smile and those rolls are just priceless.













I love you so much,
Mama

No comments: