Sunday, September 20, 2009

Gray: weekend snippets

We had a bit of a long weekend. Gray was sick on Friday and luckily (or unluckily, I guess) I didn't have any appointments scheduled so we spent the day together. To me, a sick toddler is like a regular toddler with an increased dose of drama. Sadly, he didn't want to sleep much more than he normally does and, in fact, seemed to sleep less- he woke up on Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 5:45 AM and only took two hour naps. Which, needless to say, made for Very Long Days. He was in a fairly good mood but when he got frustrated or upset he really lost his shit. I am so glad the weekend is over and he seems well enough to go to daycare tomorrow. I just hope I don't get anything, since Phil has been sick and miserable all day. Anyhow, I wanted to write down a couple of observations I made this weekend.
  • When he can't spear his food with a fork he will pick up the food, put it near the end of his fork and then put all of it (fork, food, fingers) in his mouth. It's so cute.
  • His language has exploded-again. He is putting bigger sentences together and imitating all kinds of funny stuff- "Go Broncos!" "Holy moly!" and "Oh, dude!" were my favorites.
  • His doctor mentioned that we might start thinking about potty training since his language is so advanced, so we bought a potty this weekend. I am already amazed at the awareness that he has about his body. Just after a couple of days of talking about it, he will tell me when he is pooping, which I think is a good start. (Although I have no illusions that we probably won't be successful for months, if not years- but as the doctor said, you'd hate to make that assumption and miss a window of opportunity!) I had to laugh though today in Target when he told me "pooping!" and then farted really loud.
  • He is IN LOVE with Archie this weekend and has tortured him all weekend yelling "AH-CHIE!" in his face, over and over.
  • He is also completely smitten with me, and I could barely peel him off of me all weekend. Which I love, but also wonder, can't you love your dad with the same fervent passion at least sometimes?
  • For some reason he is totally obsessed with the teacher in the book "Brown Bear, Brown Bear." That is the only page he wants to look at.
I'm going to go make peanut butter cookies now.

2 comments:

Be Like the Squirrel, Girl said...

Ah, you are having so much fun. It's great that Gray might be ready to start potty training!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the potty training!