Friday, February 19, 2010

What I did on my summer vacation*

*Except it was winter and it was maternity leave, not vacation.

I had a really nice maternity leave and even though three months sounded like a looong time at the outset it sped right by in true maternity leave fashion. These are a few of the highlights:
  • Ran around like a crazy woman getting ready for Christmas when I was 2-3 weeks post-partum. Was the recipient of many slack-jawed stares when people at the mall asked how old my baby was and I responded "2 weeks."
  • Had a lovely time with my mom, who graciously stayed with us and made us dinner for almost two weeks straight.
  • Made a TON of Christmas cookies and ate a whole lot of them. Tried to justify the extra calories "because I was nursing."
  • Hit my pre-Eli weight at about 3 weeks post-partum, and then again at 12 weeks post-partum. All that cookie eating caused a 5 lb relapse. Oops.
  • Joined WW and failed to follow it over several weeks. But that is going to change... I promise!
  • Tried a bunch of new restaurants: Mosaic, Larkburger, Vert, Hutch and Spoon, Snooze, Fuel Cafe.
  • Had lunch with two old work friends, Amy and Jenn.
  • Arranged a dinner with some of Phil's family (one of my New Year's resolutions).
  • Got two pedicures while nursing the baby.
  • Learned how to be the mom of two boys. Felt really guilty because Boy #1 doesn't get as much attention as he used to.
  • Bought two (2!) double strollers. One for the mall and one for walking/running.
  • Hired two (2!) nannies. One notified me a week and a half prior to my return to work that she had taken another job, resulting in a super-frantic nanny search. If my gut is right though, I think we found a better one than the first time around.
  • Had two (2!) date nights. Another New Year's resolution.
  • Spent one month barely able to walk due to my stupid sciatic nerve. I had started walking on the treadmill, slowly increasing my speed, feeling good, etc. when I woke up one morning and could barely walk. Excruciating didn't even describe the pain... it was horrible. It is now five weeks since it started and I am still going to PT to manage the pain. It's definitely getting better but really screwed up my goal of being able to do a 5k sometime soon.
  • Organized my cookie cutter collection. (Yes. You read that right.)
  • Decorated Gray's "big boy room."
  • Tried a TON of new recipes, including Chicken Vesuvio, Balsamic Stew, Steak with Balsamic Onions, Cider Smothered Pork Chops, Red Thai Curry, Light Lasagna, Pasta with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Broccoli, Pumpkin Enchiladas. I will make the pasta, steak and pork chops again.
  • Got really into cheese tasting. Now I need to read a book about cheese and get a proper cheese knife set.
  • Paid off some significant bills. (The refrigerator! The kitchen appliances!)
  • Worked on both baby books.
  • Sent out fun Valentine's gifts (personalized M&Ms and pictures of the boys).
  • Cooked heart-shaped pancakes and meatloaf for V-day.

I am ready to go back to work, mostly because I'm tired of it hanging over my head. I'm eager to make appointments and see my clinics and friends. I'm not as eager to face my inbox (1000+ emails at last count!). I'm also a little leary of all that I have to learn, since a lot has happened at my job in the past few months. My brain isn't working so well these days, so I know it's going to be a challenge. I'm also excited to start this new nanny chapter, since I think we found a great girl. It will be nice to get rid of the stress of OMG-I'mrunninglate-youhavetotakeGraytoschool. If we work hard at it, I think the new schedule will work out nicely and maybe lend a little more sanity and balance to our lives.

We shall see, I guess!

1 comment:

Be Like the Squirrel, Girl said...

I love the title of this post. I can't wait to bother you tomorrow, although I'm sorry your leave is over. :( I know you will miss your boys.