Saturday, November 6, 2010

Dear Grayson: Month Thirty-two

Dear Grayboy,

Today was a day totally directed by you, and as a result I think you had one of the best day of your short little life. Your dad and I were saying that we needed to document it, since one day when you are in therapy and blaming us for all of your problems we can at least say we did THIS right. You started off your day with "Chicka" pancakes and bacon (which you love), then went to the Choo Choo museum, followed by lunch at "Old McDonald's." (I'm sorry, I am not going to correct that since it is way too cute. The same way you are going to come in one day when you're 10 and ask us "Why have you been letting me call it a "femote" all these years?") When you woke up from your nap we went to the pool. (Aside: last night you asked me all the things that we could do today. After naming the zoo, Children's Museum, Nature Museum, park, etc. you said "Mama, we could do a class." "A class?" "Yes, we could take a swimming class." And then I felt like a total jerk since I have been promising you for months that I would sign you up for a swimming class. And then I felt worse, if that is even possible, since all of the classes are full until 2011. Ugh.) After swimming, we went to Southglenn and ordered a pizza, brought it home and watched Toy Story 3. Seriously, is there even a better day for a 2 year old? Because I'd like to know about it.

You did amazingly in the pool and this was in stark contrast to the last time we were there and had to coax you in the pool and even then you were NOT HAVING IT. Today you kept going deeper than I would have liked and playing "alligator" and rockets. You had a total blast. I do feel bad, since you really have been asking about swim lessons for a couple of months now. My work schedule has been crazy though, and we have put it off several times as a result. The other thing you have been asking about is an art class. You took a class for a couple of months, but didn't seem to care all that much about it and so we decided to not bother again. Well, you clearly have missed it because you ask about it all the time. Art class it is!

I went to Australia for 10 days this past month, and for the most part I think you did okay. You certainly missed me and were a clingy little monkey when I got home, but I think you are learning to cope with these work trips of mine. It's cute when I am working from home because if I come upstairs you are asking me "Mama, are you home now? Or are you working?" Lately you have developed quite an affection for Nicki and I am so happy to see this. You will ask about her when she is not here, and think out loud about what she might be doing. She has noticed this too and let me tell you, I think it makes her life so much better. (Imagine coming to work and your boss screaming and crying when they see you- that cannot be a good start to your day!)

You are starting to become more independent in little ways. Now when you wake up you will get out of bed, collect some books and start to read to yourself. You know how to open doors, turn on lights and bring me your plate when you are done eating. This morning, I heard you wake up so I called to you "Come in here, Gray!" and you said "I'm coming, Mama!" After coming in and snuggling with me for a minute, you said "I hear Eli! I'm going to go see Eli!" We heard you stomp down the hall, open his door and say "Hiiii Eli! Did you waked up? Hiiii!"

Now that I think about it, I think a lot of the horrible "two" stuff has subsided. It's funny that I didn't really even notice until I really had to think about it. You certainly still go through little episodes where you wig out about this or that, but it is not as bad as it used to be, I think. You are a smart, smart little person and it is always fun to hear what you come up with. I love to watch you try to wrap your head around a subject (lately: marriage, volcanoes, Halloween). Speaking of Halloween, I had no idea how you were going to handle it. You refused to put on your fireman costume until the day before when you announced that you thought you'd put it on after all. You went to Nicki's daycare and trick-or-treated at our work as well. When Halloween finally rolled around you were totally into it and I think I had my most favorite parenting moment, ever. Walking through the crisp air in the dark, holding your hand and talking about Halloween decorations, costumes and candy- I think I have never felt happier.

I love you, Grayboy.
Mama

No comments: