Dear Eli,
I was just settling down in front of the computer thinking of the hundreds of things that describe you lately: you'd rather be upside-down than right-side up, you just learned how to say "Mama" over the last couple of days, you got your first haircut yesterday, we have given up your morning nap as of this week (gasp!), you are funny and delicious and you are just so lucky that you don't have bite-sized chunks out of your cheeks and thighs, I just want to eat you up. I thought the other day that THIS is definitely the best age- your personality is definitely "there" and every little thing you learn right now is a delightful occasion. Grayson is doing all of his learning in more subtle ways these days, so he will surprise me once in a while but not with the stunning regularity of an almost-one-year-old.
You and Gray got haircuts yesterday, and boy, you surprised me. My fearless, insane child sat there and cried while holding my hand throughout the whole ordeal. I watched that hair fall and thought "Oh no, I've made a mistake" but once she was finished it was clear I had not. Eli, those curls are to die for. You are a total looker. I hope you keep those luscious curls because everyone will be swooning for them one day.
We went swimming this afternoon and of course you loved it. You are fearless and kept trying to walk away from me, resulting in me having about a million small heart attacks as you fell face-first in the water. You don't do great with water- even a little extra splash of water in the bath has you sputtering and gasping. It never fails to freak me out, thank you very much. You still can't walk, although I keep thinking you are this close. Now I'm beginning to wonder if you will beat your brother or not (he walked at 1 year, 3 weeks). If you hold to his schedule that will have you walking on Christmas day. I am starting to plan your first birthday party and debating about cake and presents. You had a little taste of your Da's birthday cake, but you haven't really had all that much in terms of sugar. Today I gave you a taste of a french fry and you gave me a look like "and WHERE have these been?" I still struggle with your awful eating habits: you must be hand fed every bite, because if I leave some bits for you to work through you will smash it all between your fingers and then send them all flying across the room. The other day I told Nicki that I know that you will be able to feed yourself when you go to college, but right now it sure doesn't feel that way.
Even though you are totally wild and insane you are such a sweet little love. You will give me kisses and hugs and I think the cutest moment ever was when you crawled up to Phil (who was lying on the floor) and gave him an unsolicited hug and kiss. Tonight I was hassling you to give me a kiss while you orbited around me and played with your toys. A few minutes later, after I had given up, you came over and planted one on me (see, you were listening after all!). We built a fort in the basement recently and you love to crawl in there, lightening-fast, and then sit in there and chuckle. You are starting to enjoy books and will laugh in all the right places. ("Red hat, green hat, yellow hat, OOPS!" sends you laughing every time.) Gray continues to have an awful time sharing with you and I assume that is going to be a life-long struggle. Another one of my favorite moments recently was when your da showed you how to play rockets by flying them through the air and making rocket noises. You watched him, then picked up those rockets and flew them around with all the right accompanying noises. You say "Archie," "Mama," "Charlie" and "Hiiiiiii!" with some regularity and you will sign "all done" and "more." I was totally prepared for you to follow a more normal language development than Gray did but I might have to re-think that, since you are already ahead of him! You are just an incredible little boy. I could go on for hours about your many delights but I will stop. E, you are the definition of joy to me.
Love,
Mama
No comments:
Post a Comment