- What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before? Travelled to Australia. Learned how to parent two children under the age of 3 (and not very well, I might add).
- Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I did lose weight (yay!) although not all that I wanted to, we paid off our kitchen debt, I went swimming with my boys, planted a vegetable/herb garden, used recycleable bags probably 75% of the time, and cooked a hell of a lot of new things. I applied for but did not start my AuD. I got nowhere near running a half marathon. The social things are where I fell down the most- date nights, family dinners and all of that stuff.
- Did anyone close to you give birth? I suppose a baby born today (1-1-11) doesn't technically count, but my friend Sara gave birth to a baby boy this morning.
- Did anyone close to you die? No, thank goodness. I am counting my blessings.
- What countries did you visit? Australia! And I loved it, more than I could have imagined.
- What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010? Better parenting skills. I struggle with this every day. Part of me can't wait until my boys are older because I think I am better equipped to deal with older kids. The other part of me hates wishing away these precious baby years... but they are SO hard for me.
- What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? Hmm. Eli's first birthday was a pretty emotional time for me.
- What was your biggest achievement of the year? I lost 21 lbs. I did gain 4 lbs back over the past two months, but I am calling that one a "win" overall. November-December was a pretty tough time for me, so I'm giving myself a break on that one. I know I can finish what I started in the upcoming months. My second biggest achievement was going back to the nutritionist knowing that I had gained weight since my last visit- so embarrassing.
- What was your biggest failure? I am going to say that I am very sorry that I didn't lose the 36 lbs that I had intended to lose. I would like to lose at least 20 more lbs. 30 would be awesome, but one thing at a time.
- Did you suffer illness or injury? Yes. I had a sciatic nerve issue very early in 2010. I had started running on the treadmill and was feeling great... then one morning I just couldn't walk very well. It just got worse from there, and I ended up in physical therapy. It took me about three months before I didn't have to take a ton of ibruprofen to make it through the day.
- What was the best thing you bought? My car. I love that thing, even if it is a glorified grocery getter.
- Whose behavior merited celebration? I think Phil and I continue to work on our marriage in a way that makes me very proud.
- Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Well, on the same note: mine. I really have a hard time parenting two very young children and my behavior has left much to be desired.
- Where did most of your money go? Paying off our kitchen (but it was worth every penny). Daycare. New cars.
- What did you get really, really, really excited about? Watching my boys grow. They are both amazing people.
- What song will always remind you of 2010? My big WSP favorites this year are Diner, Greta and Arleen- they always make my butt wiggle. Speaking of wiggly butts, there is a Railroad Earth song that makes Eli wiggle that I really like.
- Compared to this time last year, are you:a) happier or sadder?b) thinner or fatter?c) richer or poorer? Wow, all good: happier, thinner, (not much) richer. As much as I bitch about having two little kids, I have recently gotten to a place where I feel much more organized. I have figured out my system.
- What do you wish you’d done more of? Exercise. However, as of Eli's birthday I decided enough was enough and I have been getting up in the morning and working out. I'm working my way through the Couch-to-5k program (again, I started this back in August? but Australia de-railed it). For me, getting up in the morning is the key to being a happier, nicer person.
- What do you wish you’d done less of? Yelling. God, I am such a yeller. As Gray gets older and I see my behavior and actions mirrored in him I am embarrassed at my behavior with him. I am struggling with how to fix that.
- How did you spend Christmas? Just the four of us, so it was just like a normal weekend but with MORE STRESS! A Christmas tree that Eli couldn't keep his mitts off of and too many presents that overstimulated Gray. Plus no willpower to resist holiday treats which left me feeling really crummy about myself.
- Did you fall in love in 2010? It has been a fun year learning who Eli really is.
- What was your favorite TV program? I am boring- same answers as last year: Top Chef and The Amazing Race.
- What was the best book you read? Well, thank goodness for Goodreads. I read a shockingly low number of books this year, but I really enjoyed Lost and Found.
- What was your greatest musical discovery? I am such a loser in this regard. Anything that I listen to comes through Phil. New bands that I like would include Railroad Earth and My Morning Jacket. I'm pretty excited that we bought tickets to see Drive By Truckers in March.
- What did you want and get? A new car. A healthy family.
- What did you want and not get? A bathroom in my basement. Working on that one.
- What was your favorite film of this year? Geez, did I see any movies? I know I went to see something in the theatre but have no recollection as to what it was. Not much of a movie-goer.
- What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I was 38 and I have no idea what we did.
- What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? I would have reached my weight-loss goal. However, I think I have the tools to do it, seeing as I am half way there already.
- How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010? Transitional? I have gotten rid of a lot of "fat" clothes but am still not in 85% of my wardrobe. Last year I told Phil that I would throw away anything that didn't fit on June 30th. I am making that promise again, except I think I'd like to bump that up to the end of April.
- What kept you sane? It has been a hard, emotional year. It sounds bizarre, but I think my job kept me sane. It is really, really hard to juggle my job with my family but there were many days when I was happy to have my job to retreat to when I felt like being a good wife and mother was beyond my abilities. My nanny also contributed to my sanity.
- Who did you miss? My family. We have been struck over and over with how hard it is to raise children without the support of nearby family.
- Who was the best new person you met? I can't really think of anyone. Is that possible?
- Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010. I re-learn this lesson every day: my husband, children and dogs mean the world to me. I am always thankful for them. Always.
- Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. I sing "Row, row, row your boat" to Eli at least 10 times a day. He grabs my thumbs and says "RAH!" and that is my cue to begin.
Saturday, January 1, 2011
2010 in review
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment