Monday, January 10, 2011

Dear Gray: Month Thirty-Four

Dear Grayboy,

"Do you want to come back soon?" you yell as I head downstairs to my office. "Do you want to hang out with me a little longer?" I do, but I have to work so it's always like ripping off a bandaid when I have to leave you guys. I have been feeling really guilty about working and not spending enough time with you until I was home for about three weeks over Christmas. No travel at all, and yet you still wanted me MORE. I guess there's never enough Mama for you right now, and I'm trying to remember to relish it since it won't be like that for long.

You continue to be this amazingly verbal little person and I love to listen to you navigate your way through learning language. It's so fun. This weekend you told me "The potty towel is all messed up" and it took me a moment to realize that you had been playing with the toilet paper. You see a commercial for Chuck E Cheese and say "Mama, can we go there next time?" Lately you have had a little obsession with Alaska and you ask me "Can we do that when we go to Alaska?" You are working on time and place concepts. "Yestermornin'" is gone, sadly, but you will try to tell us about something that will happen "yesterday" or "Sunday" when really you have no clue what you are talking about. You tell us that you live in Pueblo, Chicago and Centennial depending on your mood. You had a hilarious conversation with your cousin yesterday where you were asking him if it was snowing at his house: "My house? It's snowing at your house?" The two of you could not get that straight.

You had a rough month in December but I now think it was a combination of Christmas and getting two new molars. You are such a sweet boy and polite to a fault. Yesterday in the car you sneezed and said "Excuse me!" totally unprompted. After lunch the other day you said "I'm sorry Mama." "For what?" "For screamin' at you at the pool. I'm sorry." (This was a couple of hours after you flipped out when we told you that we had to leave the pool.) What a nice boy you are. We were laughing a couple of weeks ago because we took you to the playground and you latched onto a little girl there. You were at the end of the slide and she came down it, totally taking you out with her feet. You flew to the ground and said "Oops! I'm sorry!"

We started swim lessons and you were absolutely gleeful about it. You had a fantastic time and of course did not want to leave when the lesson was over. I felt so dumb that I forgot to prepare you for what was going to happen- we were going to go to the lesson, then go home. It was so unfair to you that we had to leave right away when you were having so much fun. You love, love, love to play with other children- particularly girls. We got to meet Penny and Milena this month and you still talk about both of them. I have you on a waiting list for the preschool at the rec center since I think you'd really enjoy going to "school" a couple of times per week. Hopefully they will have an opening soon.

Things you love to do: "Skype" with your cousins (especially Maggie), play outside in the snow, drink hot cocoa, read, play cars/trucks/trains. You and Eli are becoming closer and it is fun to watch the two of you interact. You are a great little teacher and you are often saying "Eli, can you say ELI? Eli, can you say TRUCK?" You look after E for us and will tell us "Eli is headed for the fireplace! He is headed full steam for his books!" Yesterday we went to your dad's work to organize his office and the two of you just ran around the cubicles and had a great time. At one point we were working in his office and heard the two of you giggling hysterically. You had discovered the water fountain and were soaking wet. When we checked on you, you were putting water on Eli's hair "to make it curly." The sound of you guys laughing is easily the best sound in the entire world.

Gray, you are such a sweet, sweet boy.

love,
Mama

No comments: