Yes, so I am a little late. I think this is what second-child-syndrome looks like. Sorry, pal! Now that I think of it, I probably should update your baby book too. It just seems like there is never enough time to do everything!
So. I have been thinking about the best way to convey the true essence of Eli at two, and... I am at a loss. You are like... pop rocks? (Sweet and fizzy and surprising?) Truly, I don't know how to describe you any better. You are a bundle of energy and opinions. Two has hit you (and us) in full force and you are as contrary and stinky (and cute!) as they come. Tonight I said, "Oh, Eli, I love you so much. Nobody will every love you more than I do." You retorted, "NO! You are NOT loving me! Can I have more mac and cheese?" We constantly argue about how big-or small- you are. Depending on the moment you will tell me that "I AM bigger!" or "I AM a baby!" I think you are in that stage where you don't want to totally give up your baby status in our household but you can see all these cool benefits to being a big kid. For instance, every night you beg us to sleep in Gray's bed. We won't get you a "big boy bed" yet because you are so unpredictable. In fact, I still have you trapped in a sleep sack every night because I know full well that you can climb in and out of your crib when I am not watching. The other day you also tried to pee standing up and you were so GIDDY over the prospect that I anticipate teaching you how to use Clorox wipes very soon. Dude, you are NUTS.
Every day starts with you mumbling "I want pancakes!" from behind that disgusting "ba" of yours. We seem to have permanently misplaced "pink ba" and are down to "fashion ba" and "school bus ba." I have warned you that when those two are lost the "ba" thing is over. You are a rough and tumble little boy and you love to wrestle with your brother, run around outside and play with your trucks. You also are a devious little soul and will try to steal anything that Gray has recently played with. As a result, there is a lot of shrieking and complaints of "he doesn't know how to share!" around our house. Good grief, you two goofballs are LOUD. It seems like the giggling always dissolves into crying and it's usually just a matter of time before that happens.
Recent developments for you include a sudden, passionate love of the song "Pumped Up Kicks" which has wildly inappropriate lyrics but you don't seem to mind (and you don't understand them anyway). You get angry if Gray tries to dance to it with you- it is yours alone. The other day, I came home from a work trip, walked in the door and there you were, dancing to your favorite song. I kicked off my shoes and joined you, and it was one of those wonderful moments that I hope I never forget. You also have developed this new laugh recently that sounds like a combination of Pee Wee Herman and Ed McMahon. It's this deep "HEH!" that is so bizarre but still makes us laugh every time you do it. You have become this wonderful little storyteller lately as well. You will string together events that you remember: "Then I go see Dr Suzy and she looks at my body ("bawdy") and in my ears and..." We just listen in fascinated silence to see what you will say next. I love your stories.
There's no question that you are a smart little guy, but for some reason colors just escape you. I am not sure if it's because we haven't worked very hard on them or maybe you just aren't trying...? I don't know. Last week we decided to devote a week to working on one color and it was yellow. I got some window markers and wrote "YELLOW" on the kitchen window and then we drew pictures of everything we could think of that was yellow. I would stand there and say "what color is the duck? the flower? the taxi? etc etc and you would say "lellow, lellow, lellow, BLUE!" I don't know if you were joking or serious, but it was funny nonetheless. This week we are onto orange and hopefully we have a little better luck.
Until recently, we sang together every night. These days you tell me "NO! I DON'T want to sing!" I'm hoping that is one part of the "no" phase that will end soon, because I love to sing with you every night. We sing "Father Mother" and "Day is Done." Every once in a while you will request something else, and lately (I'm not sure why) we have been singing the Star Spangled Banner. You are a delightful, mischevious, lovable little soul and I'm so glad you're mine. I love you, sweet boy.
No comments:
Post a Comment