Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Portland

I went to Portland this weekend, partly for work and partly for fun. A girl I work with, Alex, lives there and offered to show me around. I had SUCH a fun time and now I can't wait to get back to Portland to see more. If it weren't so rainy there (like it was ALL weekend) I would absolutely consider living there. It is a great small city with fantastic restaurants, farmers markets and fun things to do. We definitely ate well: we went to Blue Plate, Bread and Ink (wow), Henry's Tavern and Higgins. All fantastic. We went to the Saturday Market (on Sunday) and browsed around the stalls which all sold Oregon-made items. I bought some dehydrated sweet potato treats for the boys, a windchime and a beautiful maple spoon perfect for scooping rice out of the rice steamer. I think the biggest find of the weekend for me was Powells bookstore... after walking around with my mouth agape I found Alex and told her that she had made a grave mistake by bringing me there. I bought three books and could have done a lot more damage if I hadn't made myself leave that place. It was truly amazing. I think a road trip to Oregon has to be made, if only to go to Powells. We also saw a movie (had to get out of that rain) which was fun, since I can't even remember the last time I saw a movie in a theatre. We saw Waitress, which was okay, if a bit eerie knowing that the co-star/writer of the film was murdered last Fall.

It was a great weekend. Although I think the rain followed me home, since it is raining like I've never seen before in Denver.

No comments: