Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Independence Day

We drove down to the Springs today to collect the restored '65 Mustang that P's parents is loaning to us for a couple of weeks. It's a cool car and it's fun to sit in it and remember what cars were like when I was little... crank windows, no AC, larger than life ashtrays (and so many of them!) and those little triangular windows for ventilation. It was weird remembering riding in cars like that years and years ago. After that, we went to a BBQ for a friend's birthday- neither here nor there. I was mostly tired and thirsty all day.

In other news, the war against bindweed continues in the yard. My blood pressure rises every time I see another strand of it invading my flower beds. And then I found some in the yard today! The war will never end... pathetic, really.

We have been talking about vacations this year. Sounds like I will have to go to Chicago in September for a workshop, so P will come along to visit our sisters and their families. I am hoping to convince him to take a little side trip up to the Leelanau Peninsula, my most favorite place on earth. I haven't been there for years and I miss it. Most of all, I want him to see it too. Another possibility is England in October or November. I've always wanted to do a road trip around the UK and P is getting into this international travel thing. It would be a nice thing to do for our first anniversary. Other trips in the future- San Francisco (for work, but I'm adding a day or so to sight-see!) and Palm Beach (also work, but P has to go too which I'm so happy about!)

The boys have given me a run for my money this week. We took Charlie to Chatfield to swim on Saturday and he managed to rip off three of his four pads in the river. Dumb dog. He was limping when we were there but we thought he had wrenched a leg on some wet rocks or something. When we got home he could hardly walk, and he would not let us near his feet. It took him two or three days of total bed rest before his feet healed up enough so he could walk normally. It was awful to see him that way- like a glimpse into the future of Old Charlie. Then a couple of nights ago, Arch could not settle down and kept getting up in the middle of the night. I don't know if he was in pain or had gas... but he would not sleep so I was following him around at 4 AM asking him what was wrong. He was fine the next day- no idea what happened there.

I have been really into trying new recipes this week. Tonight was smothered pork chops, and we've also had a flank steak with an asianesque chimichurri, as well as a sirloin with a fabulous garlic/hoisin sauce. Why can't I just cook for a living?

No comments: