What Charlie knows:
1. Where's your cookie bone?
2. No
3. Stay
4. Leave it
5. Come
6. Inside/outside (as in, "come inside")
7. No barking
8. Look at the doggies! (at which point he rushes towards the TV)
9. Shoo!
10. Do yoga
11. Drop it
12. Down
13. Sit
14. Pound it (aka "shake")
15. Where's your leash?
16. Want to go for a ride?
17. Go on the side (he used to know this when we lived in our old house)
18. Get on Charlie's bed
19. Are you hungry?
20. Do you want breakfast/dinner?
21. Go get it!
22. Stop licking
23. Heel
24. Drop!
What Archie knows:
1. Where are the squirrels?
2. Give me a kiss
3. Stay (sometimes)
4. Come
5. Inside/outside
6. Sit
7. Down
8. Do yoga
9. Give me your paw
10. What did you do?
11. Want to go outside?
12. Do you have to poop?
13. Okay (this said in response to him staring at me, wanting to get in my lap)
14. Are you hungry?
15. Do you want breakfast/dinner?
16. Stop scratching
17. No nibbling!
What I know:
That I love these dogs with all my heart, and I dread the day that they won't be with us any more. They make every day better and it's so clear to me that just having a dog makes you a happier person. We joke that they are both bargain basement specials- both were the last of their litters and both were on sale. I was so worried that I wouldn't like them anymore (like so many people I know) after the baby came. If anything, I love them more.
Charlie is a sweet, simple dog, although he has learned to be crafty since Arch came around. He is a lab, through and through. He lives for dinner, tennis balls, rides in the car, walks and his cookie bone. We are not sure if he likes or hates Archie. He prefers P to me, but will always try to sit in my lap when I'm on the couch. He will give P a bunch of kisses, but I maybe get one kiss a day, if I'm lucky. He is so, so soft and everyone who pets him asks if he just got a bath (answer: no, not in the last couple of months, I'd say). He is ambivalent about baths, but loves to get blow dried and brushed. He loves almost anybody, but there are a couple of people that he is just goofy about and he cannot get enough of them. He is a very grunty, groany guy. He is a ninja when it comes to getting up on the bed in the middle of the night and knows not to come on my side of the bed, or he will get booted off.
Archie is a crafty little stinker. He always wants whatever Charlie has. He will even pretend to be sleeping in order to get what he wants: as soon as Charlie looks away Arch will swoop in and steal whatever he has been coveting. Archie wants to sleep in between your legs, under the covers. If not there, a cushy pillow would be nice. He hates squirrels. He loves Charlie and wants to do whatever it is that Charlie is doing. He uses Charlie as a couch and we are not sure if this is dominance related or comfort. If he is not nestled into Charlie's belly for warmth, he is sitting on his head (or back, or neck, or whatever). He taught himself how to do yoga, after watching Charlie do it for us. Everyone who comes to our house loves Charlie but says things like, "he's a funny little dog, isn't he?" about Archie. Archie is definitely my baby and having Gray here has been a little hard on him, but I think he's adjusted. He kisses the baby's hands, ears and mouth as much as I'll allow, and I'm not sure he's doing it because he likes the baby or he's just tasting him. I think he likes him.

That I love these dogs with all my heart, and I dread the day that they won't be with us any more. They make every day better and it's so clear to me that just having a dog makes you a happier person. We joke that they are both bargain basement specials- both were the last of their litters and both were on sale. I was so worried that I wouldn't like them anymore (like so many people I know) after the baby came. If anything, I love them more.
Charlie is a sweet, simple dog, although he has learned to be crafty since Arch came around. He is a lab, through and through. He lives for dinner, tennis balls, rides in the car, walks and his cookie bone. We are not sure if he likes or hates Archie. He prefers P to me, but will always try to sit in my lap when I'm on the couch. He will give P a bunch of kisses, but I maybe get one kiss a day, if I'm lucky. He is so, so soft and everyone who pets him asks if he just got a bath (answer: no, not in the last couple of months, I'd say). He is ambivalent about baths, but loves to get blow dried and brushed. He loves almost anybody, but there are a couple of people that he is just goofy about and he cannot get enough of them. He is a very grunty, groany guy. He is a ninja when it comes to getting up on the bed in the middle of the night and knows not to come on my side of the bed, or he will get booted off.
Archie is a crafty little stinker. He always wants whatever Charlie has. He will even pretend to be sleeping in order to get what he wants: as soon as Charlie looks away Arch will swoop in and steal whatever he has been coveting. Archie wants to sleep in between your legs, under the covers. If not there, a cushy pillow would be nice. He hates squirrels. He loves Charlie and wants to do whatever it is that Charlie is doing. He uses Charlie as a couch and we are not sure if this is dominance related or comfort. If he is not nestled into Charlie's belly for warmth, he is sitting on his head (or back, or neck, or whatever). He taught himself how to do yoga, after watching Charlie do it for us. Everyone who comes to our house loves Charlie but says things like, "he's a funny little dog, isn't he?" about Archie. Archie is definitely my baby and having Gray here has been a little hard on him, but I think he's adjusted. He kisses the baby's hands, ears and mouth as much as I'll allow, and I'm not sure he's doing it because he likes the baby or he's just tasting him. I think he likes him.

No comments:
Post a Comment