Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Dear Gray: Month Two

Dear Gray,

It is so hard to believe that we've only known you for two months. On one hand it seems like an eternity since you were born and on the other it seems like just yesterday. You have grown and learned a lot of things this month. Most notably, you have really started to smile in the last couple of days. I was starting to get worried and thought you were going to be this somber, concerned little kid. But no, you have one of the cutest smiles I've ever seen. You are also starting to make those cute baby noises and if I could bottle your yawny sounds and listen to them every day for the rest of my life, I would. They are that precious.










As of today you have officially grown out of your dinosaur "costume" as well as a couple of other outfits. I am going to have to retire them and bring out some of your 3-6 month clothes. It is funny how bittersweet this is to me. You are by no means chubby; you actually look quite skinny and long to me. We went to the doctor last week and you were 12 lbs 10 oz at 8 weeks old. You are still nursing, but will happily take a bottle if offered. You are just so easy when it comes to eating and I am so thankful for that! I almost wish I could film you nursing because it is just so funny to watch your chicken wings flailing around. I love all the little idiosyncracies that define you: the fact that you spit out your pacifier when you have truly gone to sleep, all the snorting you do when you are hungry or tired, the fact that you love your monkey on your mobile, how you have learned to suck on your right hand (you are destined to be a thumb sucker, I think), the frowny face you make when you are sleeping and how you hold onto my shirt when you are nursing or falling asleep.










As far as sleeping goes, things are slowly improving. Your bedtime is getting a little earlier- a month ago I couldn't count on anything before 11 PM and now we are approaching 10 PM. On a typical night you will wake up around 2-3 AM and 5 AM. Sometimes I will just bring you into bed with me in the morning to get a little extra sleep and snuggling with you during those early morning hours is priceless. I go back to work in two weeks and I will definitely miss that time with you. Your Da says watching us have a snore-off every morning is pretty cute.










I gave you a bath yesterday (after an epic explosive poop) and there was a moment that I will never forget. Previously, you acted a bit like a cat in the bathtub: all limbs flailing about and a look of panic on your face while we tried to calm you down. But yesterday, as I eased you into the bath I glanced up at you and saw you staring at me with a look of total trust on your face. A look that said, "I'm okay, right Mama?" You were so obviously looking to me for reassurance and it just made my heart melt. Gray, I am your biggest supporter and most loyal fan. I hope you always know that.

love,
Mama

No comments: