Friday, June 6, 2008

Dear Gray: Month Three

Dear Gray,

About an hour ago, I was holding a sleeping baby while reading a book on the porch on this perfect, almost-summer night. It's hard to believe that life actually can get any better than this. I don't know what happened in the last week but it's fair to say that I've fallen in love with you all over again. It's like a switch went off and you have suddenly started to do all of these fantastic new tricks. The most amazing trick- by far- has got to be that you slept through the night last night. I put you down about 9:30 and when I woke up at 5:45 (in a total panic, I might add) you were still asleep. You slept until about 7:30, and when your Da and I went in to get you, you greeted us with your gummy grin. It may not mean that you are going to sleep all night tonight (I'd be surprised if you did- you fell asleep at 7:30) but it does mean that better nights are on the horizon. Not that they are all that bad, really- lately you wake up for a 3 or 4 AM feeding and that is it.

You have really discovered your hands, and you like to stuff both of them in your mouth. You have started playing with toys and will hold onto whatever I offer you. I gave you a ring of beads yesterday and when I came back to check on you a couple of minutes later somehow they had landed on your head like a little halo. You are starting to move around your crib during the night, although I haven't been lucky enough to observe this. Earlier this week I woke at 3 AM to you screaming, which you never do, and when I got to your room I found that you had maneuvered yourself 90 degrees and your head was mashed up against the crib bars. Not sure how you did that, but it was a reminder that the "plant stage" is nearly over and you are going to be on the move pretty soon. You have discovered your voice and you are constantly telling me about "aguh" and "ahboo." These conversations are fascinating and are punctuated by your full-body smiles.

I think my going back to work has been harder on you than I anticipated it would be. For the past few weeks you haven't been eating well for the nannies. I worked from home one day this week and you gave the nanny hell all day- I felt so bad for her. I finally went up there and fed you so we could all have a little peace. I think that you just miss your mama and the only way you can tell us that is by not eating very well. All told, I think the nanny thing is working out well. I love having you home where I can see you in bits and pieces all day long, even if you are grumpy with me for leaving you with the nannies!

You have gone through this amazing growth spurt over the last month. When we came back from Chicago on the 9th, I bought 3-6 month onesies and you have ALREADY GROWN OUT OF THEM. I had no idea that a person could even grow that fast. You have easily grown an inch in the last couple of weeks too. Your Da put a sleeper on you last night that three weeks ago was at least an inch too long- last night it fit perfectly.

It's funny to me now to think about how I struggled through my pregnancy. Who knew that I had the capability to make my most favorite person in the world? I told your Da tonight that I have never been this happy, ever. It is so terrifying, but so worth it. You are worth it.



love,
Mama

No comments: