Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Dear Gray: Month Six

Dear Gray,

Today was your six month appointment at the pediatrician's office. You weigh 19 lb 9 oz and are 27 inches long. You got three shots and while I managed not to cry this time, I did get pretty teary. It just sucks to watch your face go from happy to HUH? to WAAAAH! in a matter of seconds. The nurse was irritating me too: she kept counting "ONE, TWO, THREE!" before each shot. The counting thing was killing me and just making the whole thing take longer! Developmentally you are spot on. You sit up like a champ, you are starting to transfer objects from one hand to the other and you roll with the best of them. The nanny and I think you'll be crawling soon. You showed me a new trick the other day- you can hop up and off of my lap to a standing position if the mood strikes you.

We started you on food just after you turned five months and you took to it right away. I don't think there is any one food that you like all that much but you sure do love to eat! It's funny to me that you make a stinkface no matter what I offer you, but you keep opening your mouth like a baby bird, wanting more. Your Geegee gave me a Beaba baby food maker and I have been using it to make organic food for you. So far you have tried: peas, carrots, squash, sweet potato, pear, apple, banana, prunes, rice cereal and oatmeal. Another thing you have tried: Charlie's tail. That video is priceless. We are also working on weaning. In short: I hate it. And also: I hate that damn pump. I wish I could keep nursing until you decide to quit but with my travel and work schedule nursing has become difficult. So instead we have been focusing on the whole eating thing. I am thankful we made it to six months though. I would estimate that you nursed 75% of the time and got formula the other 25%. I would consider that a victory, since my greatest pre-Gray worry was that we would have trouble with nursing.

You are capable of sleeping through the night... the question is whether or not you will do so. You sleep through the night most of the time but throw us a curveball every couple of days or so. Last night you were up several times until I finally gave in and nursed you (I am powerless in the face of your cries!) and you went back to sleep. I talked to your doctor today and he told me that I basically taught you that persistance pays off... which was NOT what I was going for. His advice was "go in right away or don't go in at all" and also that your Da should go in and I should stay in bed. Your Da didn't love that little message. We basically need to decide to let you cry and stick it out. It would be so much easier if you just slept all night! Please?

We have figured out the schedule thing and it was the best thing I've ever done. You know the routine. You are ready and willing to go in your bed and it's so cute to see you roll over on your left side to sleep, every time. The end of the day is always a little rough; I can see that you are a little rough around the edges by 5 or 6:00. If it's nice outside we wander around the yard with you, you hold onto "your tree" and shake the branches a bit. If it's chilly, we stay inside and I hold you and sing songs. You're a sucker for a song and will chill out and listen every time.

I was describing you to someone today and told them that you are pretty laid back but with a healthy helping of goofiness thrown in. It is just SO FUN to watch you learn. Don't think for a minute that I take your good nature and sweet personality for granted. I don't.

Love,
Mama

No comments: