Sunday, September 28, 2008

The time, it flies

At the beginning of this year I meant to blog at least once a week. Since this summer, I think I'm lucky if I post once a month! Life is busy with a baby- I get it, now. I don't have the luxury of working until the work's done anymore. I have to squeeze work into naptimes and after-bedtimes, because I think that when Gray is awake it is my job (and privilege!) to play with him. Having a child is probably good for learning where your priorities are. But, as a result, I'm chronically behind at work and it kind of sucks. I've never been like that before so it really is an adjustment for me.

The other day I noticed that every time someone asks how Gray is I say "fun!" I mentioned to P that percentage-wise, he's probably much harder than he is fun, but the fun certainly wins out every time. We were graced with his first belly laughs last weekend, and it made me cry, it was so cute to listen to. When my mom was last here she observed that you are constantly being mauled when you are holding a baby- they pull on your hair, climb all over you and suck on your face... but I love every second of it. Today Gray's mouth must be hurting him because he is sucking on his lips and thumb a lot and just out-of-sorts in general. We were relaxing on the couch with his head tucked under my chin, sucking his thumb while I sang silly camp songs to him. What a perfect way to spend the morning!

We went to Chicago last weekend and had a really nice time. Hung out with both sisters and all the cousins... Gray certainly had his share of kids in his face, but it was probably good for him. Last Sunday was the last day I nursed, and it broke my heart to stop. But the upside of that is that I no longer have to pump (with the pump that says "I'm afraid, I'm afraid" per my mom), the engorgement is gone and I'm just a little more comfortable in general. I am so thankful that I was able to nurse for a little over six months though. That was my goal, and it was easily attained.

I have committed to doing a 5k in Indy with a bunch of friends on October 18th. I have been so bad about working out, except for a 5 or 6 month stint in May where I was totally on top of it. So, I have devised a "shame sheet" that hangs on my fridge for all to see. It has my weekly exercise goals on it and every time I achieve one of them I get a sticker. Sounds totally juvenile, but it has worked for me before so I'm going to do it again. My goals are probably not what they should be, in terms of how much exercise I should be getting, but it is hard to fit it all in, all the same. My weekly goal is to do three-3 mile runs, do arm exercises twice and do yoga once. On top of that (but I don't get stickers for it!) I am trying to go for a couple little walks with Gray. We'll see how it goes, but I think I'll be able to run three miles by Oct 18th. I'm also hoping the altitude will help me out a bit, since everyone says that running at sea level is so much easier!

I got up today and made Gray's food for the week. I love making his food- the more I look at baby food, the less appetizing it is. Bananas don't look like bananas, and so on. I feel so much better about giving him fresh, REAL food. I've recently introduced nectarines, peaches, green beans and avocados to him. He continues to loooove bananas though. I am eating a little more fruit than I usually do as well- we split a banana or a peach and eat them together. So, it's good for me, too!

I've been looking at the yard and thinking I should plant a little more before winter hits. What I really should do is draw up a plan of the yard and be a little more strategic about where I plant things! I want it to look a certain way but can't seem to put the time in to get to that point. Maybe that would be a good project for this afternoon...

No comments: