Monday, October 6, 2008

Dear Gray: Month Seven

Dear Gray,

We are currently firmly ensconced in the hell that is known as "teething." Wow, does it suck. Your mood swings rival a teenaged girl's: you are happy! No, you are sad! Mama is hilarious! Mama is ruining your life! It is kind of hard to console you right now and all the usual tricks aren't working. Usually I can combat any sort of your grumpiness with a little singing but not tonight. You are sucking in your lips, sucking your thumb and making all kinds of sad faces... it is so hard to watch, it's heartbreaking.

In developmental news, you are plugging right along. On Friday night you pulled yourself up to standing in your crib, and last night you sort-of crawled across the family room floor. It just took a little technology to get you going: the TV remote and the camera. You'll do anything to get to those buttons, including three-limbed crawling (you seem to have forgotten that you have a left arm). Your "crawling" at this point consists of a right arm reach, a roll and pushing forward with those legs of yours. It's pretty fun to watch. I kept saying "I am going to regret encouraging you to learn to crawl" but it was irresistable.

Other big moments: first belly laugh (easily my most favorite moment of your life so far- it made me cry, it was so adorable). You are this incredible little hugger- when I pick you up in the morning your little body curls into mine for a minute and it is the best part of my day. It is so fun to watch you reach for me or your Da. When you see one of us, your face lights up and you wave those chicken wings around in excitement. Something that is cracking me up lately is that you test everything for "shakeability"- but you aren't able to just shake one hand. So both arms are waving around in the air, even though you only have something in one hand. You are also becoming more interested in the dogs and other people. We were sitting out on the lawn waiting for your Da to come home the other night and we were joined by the neighbor kids. Alli plopped herself right next to you and you slowly looked up from whatever you were doing and it was like a lightbulb went off: other kids exist and they are fun to watch. Then you gave her that slow smile of yours that kind of sloooowly spreads across your face.

I am still making virtually all of your food and it gives me such pleasure. We go to the Cherry Creek Farmer's Market and the grocery store on Saturday mornings together. I put you in your sling and you love to look at all the action. Not too many new foods this month, other than peaches, winter squash, mango and yogurt. A CLEAR favorite are bananas. You made me laugh the other night: I was feeding you green beans and you were whining and grousing the entire time. I finally realized (when I switched to bananas) that you didn't like the green beans but had no idea you could refuse me. It was hilarious.

You make me laugh or smile so many times a day, even when you are cranky you are fun to have around. I feel like I have known you my entire life. It's impossible it has only been seven months! People say that it goes so fast... it doesn't actually seem fast to me. It seems kind of slow, but that is just fine. I want to take my time getting to know you some more.










love,
Mama

No comments: