Monday, November 9, 2009

Dear Gray: Month Twenty

Hey pal,

Well, we are in the final days of being a family of three. You have dealt with a lot of change lately- workers in the house remodeling our kitchen, the time change, your cranky mama... and you are sneaking up on that magical age of two. Needless to say, we have had some challenging moments lately. But the good times- they are SO good.

I was looking at your naked little body yesterday and realized you are acquiring the longer, leaner lines of a boy. Gone is the chubby baby, except for that little roll above one of your knees. I'm sad to think that will be gone soon too. Your hair is finally curly again, and we keep saying to each other "he finally looks like Gray again!" We wonder if this next kid is going to be a thumb sucker like you are, and if he/she is going to look like you. We suspect from ultrasounds that he/she has those lovely lips that you have so at least you'll have that in common. I see your dad in you more each day- in your hands, face, feet and butt, of all things. Although your hatred of having dirty hands is ALL ME.

You continue to amaze and amuse us with your language. A child learning language is truly a wonderful and astounding thing. Lately, you have been adding an extra plural on things and I'm not quite sure why. You'll say, "fireworks! ss!" or "Mama's! ss!" You sound like a little foreign exchange student, particularly when you are constructing sentences. "Mama's....car!" "Doggie.... movie!" Your sentences are getting longer and longer. Just tonight I said, "Ask Dada if he will help you with that" and you said, "Dada, help this please?" The other day Phil had downloaded a song called "Party Time" and was singing it to you while you ate dinner. When you were done eating, you got down from the table, ran into the bathroom, got your potty and came back to show us, saying "Potty time!" We still laugh about that one. This morning I was downstairs and you were stomping around the upstairs yelling, "APRIL, WHERE ARE YOU? APRIL!" You are getting better at saying "Grayson" and you pronounce our last name "Luckner!"

You are completely, utterly and totally INTO Nemo right now. You will run toward the stairs saying, "TP? Nemo?" I am fairly appalled, since I never thought I would have the kid who wanted to sit in front of the TV all day. Particularly since you are such a fan of "outlide." However, we all had the flu a couple of weeks ago and combined with a hugely pregnant/exhausted mama and colder weather we have been hanging out in front of the TV more lately. It's a habit we have got to break- sorry, pal. You are also really into Thomas, much to my dismay. Wow, do I hate those cartoons! You like to play with your trains, cars, Mardi Gras beads, my spatulas and anything in "Grayson's drawer." (This is a drawer in the kitchen that holds your cups and plates.) You are always holding up a book to me saying "read it?" and you have a special affinity for bunny books.

The next time I write one of these posts you will be a big brother. I dread the next couple of weeks because I fear that they will be hard for you. Because of H1N1 you will not be able to visit us in the hospital, so basically your mama is going to leave one day and come back a couple of days later with a baby... I wish I could explain this to you somehow. It'll be all right, my little boy, I promise.

love,
Mama

No comments: