Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Dear Eli: Month One

Dear Eli,

One month old! The time has flown, that's for sure. I can't say that I recommend having a baby right before the holiday season. For me it meant I was too tired/pregnant to do any shopping pre-baby and then... well, the same thing happened post-baby. What can I say, I was a poor planner this year. It all worked out in the end, and your first Christmas went off with a bang. Your Gram and Papa spent the holiday with us, your big brother got his first real taste of Santa and you pretty much snoozed the day away.

Where to start? It's so strange that on November 29th I didn't know you at all- I didn't even know if you were a girl or boy- and less than 24 hours later I fell in love with you, a total stranger. I don't think it's possible to put my feelings for you into words, and I'm not even going to try because I won't do it justice. Suffice it to say, you were the guy I was waiting for all those long months of pregnancy. It was miserable, but oh, so worth it.

We have had all the normal newborn challenges... sleep, sleep, sleep. You aren't a big fan of the swing or the bouncy seat because you'd rather be safely snuggled in my arms. As often as I swear I am not going to fall asleep with you in our bed, I wake up with you in my arms (and a smile on your face, usually). It seems we have fallen into a bit of a pattern, where you will sleep from 11 PM-3 AM. Then you are up again at 5ish for a little snack and after that you snooze the morning away. I look forward to earlier bedtimes in the upcoming months, I'll tell you that much. But knowing that things will improve soon helps ease any midnight frustrations.

You are a champion nurser, and will take a bottle or pacifier without complaint- thank goodness! You are starting to look a little bit chubbier all of a sudden and the resemblance between you and your brother is a bit startling. I wonder if you will end up with blonde, fluffy hair too? One difference is for sure, though, I would bet that you are going to have blue eyes.

You loooove your mama. When I kiss your face you move your head back and forth like you want me to keep kissing both of your cheeks and I am only too happy to oblige you. I cherish the feeling of being the one person that can give you everything you need for right now, since that is the blessing of being a mother. You are such a sweet, sweet boy.

Love,
Mama

1 comment:

Be Like the Squirrel, Girl said...

So sweet. Welcome to the world, Eli!